Autumnal Still Life

In my kitchen I have a big bowl.  I suppose you would consider it a fruit bowl but I tend to chuck all sorts of things in there; apples, garlic bulbs, the odd small pumpkin.  



I was about to chomp into an apple from the big bowl when I thought, 'How pretty these fruits look, almost like a still life painting'.  



So before I eat my models, I thought I'd take a few photographs.  I popped out into the garden to collect a couple of red leaves and some Nigella pods.



There were some very bright Nasturtium flowers blooming away so I picked one of those, too.  When I got it inside I realised a snail was sleeping in the flower!



I added a couple of my apples and Ta Dah!  Instant Still Life!



Of course, when I tried to arrange the Nigella pods all the little seeds dropped out.  But I think they look nice scattered on the red Strawberry leaf.  



Autumn is the most beautiful time of year.  But as lovely as the pumpkins and apples are, they must be eaten!  



So get ready Still Life,  you are about to get CHOMPED!

*please note - no snails were harmed while photographing the still life.  The baby snail was returned to the wild where he resumed his regular activities and sleeping in my Nasturtiums.

Comments

  1. You're very kind placing the snail back in your garden, we consider Snails and slugs the mortal enemies of our garden (yet they still consider us a youth hostel with free food). Beautiful pictures. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cheryl, I am not being kind. I am defeated! I battled snails and slugs all summer. I know when I've been whipped so I have given up the fight. : ) Besides, they've already eaten everything! Thanks for your very kind comment!
      Debs X

      Delete
  2. Couleurs d'automne...chaudes...chaudes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the burst of vivid colour before the winter sets in.

      Delete
  3. You could do like your two nieces and keep the snail as a pet! Speedy lives in a tuppperware container with a lid that he/she loves to hang from. Speedy gets fresh lettuce most days and always get a few sprays with the water bottle each day. So far, so good. Hes been here since JULY 22 and the girls LOVE that snail. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of snails as pets... a friend of mine said her daughter had to keep the class pet over the weekend. She emailed a photo of the pet to me. I was a garden snail!!!! It seems snail-keeping is very fashionable! : )

      Delete

Post a Comment