A Poor Girl's Greenhouse


 It's seed sowing time again.  If you watch the gardening shows on TV you will see glorious greenhouses, heated propagators, and a dedicated potting bench.  Well, that's not the case here but that doesn't mean I don't have lots of healthy seedlings.  In fact you are looking at a whole cutting garden started off in a few recycled food containers.  

Here in Devon, I don't do any direct sowing.  In my experience that only provides a smogasbord for slugs and snails.  I sow my flower and vegetable seeds in these containers and once they have the beginnings of true leaves, I pot them up to grow on until they are big enough to withstand a nibble or two. 

The trick to this method is to match the depth of the container to the size of the seed.  Most seeds are fine with a couple inches of compost to start.  Big seeds like beans need a deeper container.  Water sparingly after sowing the seeds and check them daily to make sure they are not too wet or steaming in the sunshine coming through the window.   Once the seeds have germinated, remove the lids and let them begin leaf production.  

You will be amazed at how fast things germinate.  Just a few days ago we heard a 'POP' as the bean seedlings exploded out of their container by forcing the lid off! 

There are lots of space saving ways to start your seeds.  All you need is a warm spot to put the containers, maybe in your airing cupboard or on top of the fridge. Sometimes you don't even need a plant pot to get growing. I've heard of some pretty clever ways to wake up your seeds.  There is the damp paper towel method and even starting beans in a compost filled freezer bag.  I've never tried either one but I am assured they work.  Google them and see! 


Comments

  1. That shows again: the unconventional ways are sometimes the most effective !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning! I have been thinking of you. The herbs I grew from the seed you sent to me have been growing like crazy. They are lovely and I appreciate your generous gift every day. Take care and stay safe! x

      Delete
    2. That's nice to hear and makes me really happy!
      Stay safe, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment