Tuesday, 9 July 2013

The Bee's Tea

I have what I loosely call a small lavender hedge.  It's really just a strip of scruffy lavender plants that edge the drive.  But this time of year it could be a tiny piece of Provence.


 

The scent is heady like a giant bar of Lavender soap.   



During the daylight hours it has a low droning hum... a soft, constant buzz.



Dozens of bees carefully visit each tiny flower to have their 'tea'.



And I sit among them, enjoying their company and the wonderful smell of Lavender.  It's the bee's knees!

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos! My lavender isn't out yet, but hopefully won't be long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of the scent. Lavenders are wonderful plants.

      Delete
  2. Les abeilles ici c'est terminé...plus rien.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful lavender! I like the colour very much! And it is always visited by bees! Seems to be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a fan of lavender! I buy the girls lavender scented lotion and they smell delicious. :) We also have lavender in our backyard and I love the smell and color of the plant. Do you know when the best time to prune/cut back the plant is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prune my lavender when the flowers start to dry up, then I get a second flush of flowers before Autumn sets in. Then I prune again only a bit shorter to keep the plants thick and tidy. It smells SO good!

      Delete