Nutella Rolls with Coffee Icing

I must confess, I sometimes purchase things on impulse.  Usually this happens when I go grocery shopping.  That's how I ended up with two big jars of that chocolate and hazelnut spread.  One jar had caramel mixed in with the chocolate so how could I resist! 


Now, I like Nutella.  I can eat it out of jar with a spoon, matter of fact I usually do, but I thought it would be a good idea to use some of it for baking.  First I thought of using it to frost cupcakes but then Pain au Chocolat came to mind. That seemed too complicated so I thought why not make a chocolate filled roll. 


Here's how to make them.

Place the following ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon to make a soft dough:

2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon dry yeast
1 Tablespoon caster sugar
3/4 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in a warm place to let the yeast work. While the dough is rising, prepare the baking tin. 

I used a six hole giant muffin tin to make these rolls.  You can also use ceramic ramekins.  To make the paper liners, cut baking paper into 7 inch squares  and press a square into each of the muffin cups.  You could use large paper cupcake liners or just butter the tin well.  I just like the look of the baking paper...it's a girl thing.

Back to the baking.....

After about an hour the dough should have doubled in size.  Stir in the following ingredients:

1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
tiny pinch of salt (optional)

By now the dough should be rather stiff and you may prefer to turn it out on a floured surface and knead it for a minute or two to incorporate the baking soda and baking powder.  


Roll the dough out into about a 14 inch square.  Spread 5-6 tablespoons of Nutella over the square and roll it into a long sausage shape.   Cut the dough into six equal pieces and place them into the prepared baking tin.


Place the rolls in a warm place to rise for a second time.  Heat the oven to 350F/180C. I like to give the oven a long pre-heating to assure the rolls bake evenly.


When the rolls have doubled in size you are ready to bake them. I brushed the tops with a little milk before putting them in the oven but this step is optional. Bake for about 15 minutes.  The rolls are done when they have grown tall and taken on a light golden colour.


Now, you could eat them as they are or dust them with icing sugar but I prefer to let them cool for a few minutes then add a little icing.


Simple Coffee Frosting

1/2 cup icing sugar - sifted
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules mixed with 4 tablespoons hot water

Add two teaspoons of the strong coffee to the icing sugar and beat with a spoon.  Continue to add the coffee a drop at a time until you have a smooth, spreadable icing.  Spread the icing over the rolls and enjoy!  

Comments

  1. Most certainly on the 'to do' list!
    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little chocolate, a little coffee icing... these are the simple pleasures in life. ; )

      Delete
  2. Oh they look so good.. my mouth is watering :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy heavens! You need to open a bakery! Your baked goods are unbelievable!!! Happy Tuesday friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only the jars of chocolate spread lasted long enough in the cupboard to bake with them. Actually, I swear the kids eat them before they make it to the cupboard. These look delicious - coffee and chocolate are two of my favourite things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment