Strawberry Pie

Oh boy, do we have a bumper crop of strawberries!  I am not complaining, honestly.   We have had lots to share with the neighbours, enough to make jam, and plenty to eat with cream or yogurt.  Now it's time to get a bit more adventurous with the berries.  Andy suggested strawberry pie.... 


What a good idea!  Why didn't I think of that?  So, I did some research (that means Googling) and found several recipes for strawberry pie.  I had all ingredients I needed to make this one ... and very good it is, too. 


Here's the recipe as written:

9 inch pie shell - baked and cooled to room temperature*
1 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries - approximately 
1 cup white sugar (caster sugar)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch (corn flour)
3/4 water
1/2 cup heavy cream for whipping

Arrange half of the berries in the pie shell and set aside while you make the filling.

Remove the stems and slice the remaining strawberries into a saucepan.  Add the sugar and bring to a rolling boil.  

Combine the water and cornstarch.  Remove the saucepan from the heat and gradually add the water-cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. 

Lower the heat and cook over a low flame, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is VERY thick.  

Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract... this is my addition to the recipe.  I like the taste of vanilla and strawberries.


Spoon the filling over the berries in the pie crust.  Try to cover each berry with the glaze.  Let the pie cool to room temperature then refrigerate until the pie is 'set'.


The recipe says to serve the pie with the cream whipped.  We just poured it over and tucked in.  I bet a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be great, too. 

* One other thing... I used a sweet pastry crust for the base but a regular short crust will do.  If you don't 'DO' pastry you can still 'DO' this pie. Simply purchase some lovely packaged pastry at the supermarket.  This easy pie really is the taste of an English summer.  Enjoy! 

Comments

  1. I don't believe I've ever tried strawberry pie, yours looks very tempting indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment