Cheddar Cheese Scones

It is a rare occasion when Andy asks me to bake something in particular.  I generally plan the menus and choose what I want to bake for a treat, but today he asked me to make some cheese scones.  I like it when he tells me what he'd like me to make and I hopped to it... double time! 


I think cheese scones are a 'guy' thing.  I don't know a man who doesn't like cheese scones.... well, I don't think I do.  Anyway, here's the recipe:

Strong Cheddar Cheese Scones

Begin by heating the oven to 200C/400F.  Line a baking tray with a piece of baking paper and set it to one side while you make the scone dough

Ingredients

225 grams self raising flour
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
55 grams of butter - cut into cubes
100 grams of grated strong cheddar cheese
90 ml milk (more or less) + a little more to brush on the scone tops
grated cheddar cheese for the scone tops 

Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and cayenne pepper together in a big mixing bowl.  Add the butter and rub it into the flour until you have what looks like bread crumbs.  I like to use a pastry cutter for this step but fingers work just fine, too. 

Add 100 grams of grated cheese to the bowl and stir to distribute the cheese evenly.   Pour in about 80 - 90 ml of milk and gently stir with a spoon.  If the dough seems dry, add a tiny bit more milk.  You want a dough that is soft but firm.  Use your hands to bring the dough together and gently knead it for just a moment.  DO NOT overwork the dough or your scones will be tough.


Lightly flour your work surface and pat the dough into a rough circle that is about 1 inch thick.  Cut the dough into six triangles and place them on the prepared baking sheet.

Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk, sprinkle over some grated cheese, and pop the tray into the oven.  

Bake the scones for approximately 15 - 20 minutes or until they are tall, golden brown, and covered in bubbly, melted cheese.  


Now, I like my cheese scone hot out of the oven but normal people will leave them to cool a bit. Traditionally, these are for afternoon tea but they are good with soup or salad or just as a snack whenever you need a cheesy treat.  



Comments

  1. I like having requests for things to cook and bake. Sometimes you just need inspiration from somewhere other then yourself! These look great!! I like a savory scone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO agree. It seems strange to say, but it can get to feel like a big responsibility always planning the meals. A little input is a good thing.

      Delete
  2. A great idea, my F. loves Cheddar cheese and scones. I have to try this recipe, thank you Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a British classic. Most chaps prefer cheese scones to the sweeter ones served with clotted cream and jam. Well, at least my chap does. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment