Gingerbread Men, NOT! Part I

I have an ever growing collection of cookie cutters.  It's becoming an addiction.  Some women collect expensive shoes, I have a cookie cutter habit.       Somehow I had overlooked the classic gingerbread man design so I went on a shopping expedition to rectify this oversight.  



I was so excited about my new Gingerbread Boy, I couldn't wait to make cookies.  Proudly, I introduced the Gingerbread Boy cutter to Andy, who promptly announced, 'I don't like Gingerbread!'   WHAT?!  


This revelation set me back a bit.  Now what was I supposed to do?  It has been my experience that when faced with life's more baffling questions the answer is usually CHOCOLATE!  Here is the recipe for Gingerbread Men, NOT!

85 grams butter, softened
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
200 grams plain flour
4 Tablespoon cocoa powder

Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.  When the butter and sugar are creamy, add the egg and beat until smooth.  Beat in the golden syrup.

In a smaller bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together.  Add 1/2 of the flour-cocoa mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until well combined.  Beat in the rest of the flour mixture.  It will be very stiff.  

Wrap the dough in cling film and put it into the refrigerator to chill while you heat the oven to 180C/350F.   Line baking trays with baking paper.  


Roll out the chilled dough between to pieces of plastic wrap.  The dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.  Dredge the cookie cutter in flour and cut out the non-gingerbread boys.


Place the dough boys on the lined baking sheets, leaving a little space between them.  Bake for about 10 -15 minutes or until they are firm.  Let the cookies cool on the baking trays for five minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.  


When the cookies are completely cooled, they are ready for decorating.   I am going to tuck my boys into a tin for tonight and let them rest.  Join me for Part II of Gingerbread Men, NOT- when we will get to grips with the piping bags!  

Comments