Lost Family Recipe Found In Devon!

Regular readers will know that my childhood memories usually involve food; usually sweets, mostly chocolate.  My Mom did a lot of baking, most of it was from scratch but there were one or two things she used a mix to make.  Chocolate Pudding Cake was one of those things.  It was a sort of sponge cake that made it's own fudge sauce.  


It had been years since I'd had it...almost had forgotten about it.  One day I was looking at a little cookbook  Andy had bought me years ago.  It was a souvenir of our first day trip together.  And what did I see... a recipe for Chocolate Fudge Pudding!


I read the recipe carefully, the description matched the Chocolate Pudding Cake  Mom used to make exactly.  I had to bake it.  


It contains the most basic baking ingredients, I am sure you already have them in your store cupboard:


Please note:  1/2 UK pint = 1 1/4 cups US    I found that 375F was too hot in my oven so I turned the temperature down to 350F/180C and baked the pudding cake for about 30-35 minutes.  


Simply spread the cake batter into a baking dish and pour over the sauce mixture. DO NOT MIX the two together.  Baking will make the sauce for you.


Be sure to place the baking dish on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper to catch any sauce that may bubble over the side of the dish.  


I love to eat this while it's still warm, but you must let it cool a little before serving. The pudding is like lava when it comes out of the oven and letting it cool thickens the sauce.  Of course, folks in Devon will tell you to serve this pudding with clotted cream.  I think a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be good too..but I like it just as it is...just like Mom used to make, in Missouri!  

*Recipe from Favourite Devonshire Recipes  compiled by Amanda Persey, published by J. Salmon LTD.

Comments

  1. I love this sort of pudding. I make a lemony version sometimes, which is also delicious. And then of course, there's sticky toffee pudding ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE sticky toffee pudding! I have a recipe for the lemon pudding like this but I haven't tried it yet. I am saving it for when my Mum-n-Law comes to lunch. She loves lemon. : )

      Delete
  2. Yum! I think there is a similar recipe using lemons,but this chocolate version looks even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lemon version of this kind of pudding. It's on my 'TO DO' list. : )

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I have to say it's pretty yummy. The only thing better than chocolate cake is warm chocolate cake with fudge sauce. ; )

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, my tummy is rumbling - this looks delicious. I wish I had the need to make pudding but as I'm the only one who eats it, I tend not to unless I've got people here (which, sadly, isn't often).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I envy those who don't have a sweet tooth. But I'd miss the baking and the treats. I admire your self-control and discipline. I confess, I will bake treats just for myself. One day I will turn into a pudding! ; )

      Delete

Post a Comment