Have Some Madeira, My Dear!

When I first moved to Britain I used to spend hours in the Supermarkets just looking at all the different food, comparing and contrasting it to what we had in the States.  There was one cake that puzzled me, Madeira cake.  


Madeira is a fortified wine, but this cake doesn't have wine in it.  Did that mean you were supposed to eat this cake while drinking Madeira?  No, that wasn't right either.  


Then one day, a Madeira cake was served to me for afternoon tea and the light bulb switched on!  Pound cake!  Madeira cake is very similar to what Americans call Pound cake. 

 

I've never made Madeira cake, until today.  I used NIGELLA LAWSON'S MADEIRA CAKE RECIPE  and I was very pleased with the results. 


Now I have a new problem,  every time I type the words 'Madeira Cake' I think of this song....HAVE SOME MADEIRA MY DEAR ! 

You can get Nigella's recipe by clicking HERE

Comments

  1. I have a feeling Madeira cake is so called as it was meant to be eaten with a glass of the wine. Whatever, this looks delicious. I've made Nigella's cake a few times and it's always been popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, upon further research I see that this cake was served with dessert wine. I have only made a few of Nigella's recipes but she has impressed me so far. I am sure I'll be baking this cake again, too.

      Delete
  2. I like Maderia cake -- and have made it a couple of times. Not this recipe, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like this recipe. The sugar on top is a lovely touch.

      Delete
  3. I use Nigella's Madeira cake recipe too, it always turns out well. In fact, it looks just like yours!!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah! If my cake looks like your cake then I must have done it right! : D

      Delete
  4. It looks delicious! Lovely colour, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment