Slightly Tipsy Apple Crumble

Finally, after a long Indian Summer, autumn has blown in with a vengeance. Saturday was vile with gale force winds and driving rain. We added a quilt to the bed and turned on the central heating, but still couldn't get warm.  It soon became clear the solution was to warm up from the inside out...time to make a Tipsy Apple Crumble.



I have to confess I didn't start with the intention of making a tipsy crumble.  In an effort to get some warmth back into my fingers and toes, I had a little drop of calvados, for medicinal purposes of course.  



I never use perfect apples to make crumble but some of these looked particularly sad so I thought...



Why not jolly them up with a drop of calvados, too!  They seemed happy to have a little tipple.  Here's what you need to make a Tipsy Apple Crumble:

Begin by heating the oven to 180C/350F.  Butter a baking dish and set it to one side while you prepare the topping and apples.

For the crumble topping:

I must warn you, this makes A LOT of crumble topping.  We like a good crumble to apple ratio so I use all of this topping mixture.  If you prefer a higher apple to topping ratio,  decrease the amount of flour, sugar, butter, and oats to 50 grams each.  

100 grams plain flour
100 grams caster sugar
100 grams butter or baking margarine - cold and cut into cubes 
100 grams oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Place the flour, sugar, oats, and cinnamon into a mixing bowl.  Stir well to combine the ingredients.  Add the butter/margarine and with a pastry cutter or your fingertips work the butter into to the crumble mix until it looks like bread crumbs.  Set to one side and prepare the apples. 


For the apple filling:

5 or 6 'eating' apples - peel, core, and cut into thin slices
3 Tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-2 Tablespoons calvados or brandy


Place the sliced apples into a mixing bowl and add the sugar and cinnamon.  Stir well and taste the apples to see if they need more sugar.  I find three tablespoons are usually sufficient if the apples are a sweet desert variety.  Add the calvados or brandy and stir again to get the apple juices flowing.

Pour the apple slices into the buttered baking dish and sprinkle over the crumble mixture. 



Bake the crumble for 40 to 50 minutes or until the topping is golden and the apple juices are bubbling up around the edges.   Serve warm from the oven. Andy likes his with custard or cream.  I like mine just as it is, thank you.  I think I am feeling warmer already!

Comments

  1. I seriously would love to come to your home for dessert! You make the most beautiful dishes and this one just says warm cozy fall all over it! Happy day to you friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole. I only make simple, store cupboard dishes but I think they are the best. X

      Delete
  2. I love apple crumble and with calvados it must be even more delicious. Perfect for cold autumn days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is as good as a warm treat on a cold, rainy day! : D

      Delete
  3. That looks good - I will try this with a good glug of sherry that I keep for winter. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment