Herb Report

Back on the second of May I sowed some herb seeds that Calendula sent me from Germany.  Just look at some of those little seeds today!


In less than two weeks I have four little pots full of healthy seedlings.  I am still waiting for some other pots to germinate but that is to be expected.  


The dill is doing well.  You can even see some of the seed husks still sitting on the first leaves to break out of their protective shell.  Not only is dill delicious but it makes the most beautiful lime green flowers, perfect for adding to homemade posies.  


The thyme was the first to break the surface of the soil.  This really surprised me because the seed packet said it could take several weeks to germinate.  


I think the herb I am most excited about trying is the salad burnet.  It was introduced to England in Elizabethan times and the leaves were frequently floated in goblets of wine. They say it tastes like cucumbers. 


Borage is the most robust looking seedling of them all.  It is loved by bees, the blue flowers are edible, and I've learned, that borage can be grown as a green manure to enrich the soil.  I've also read that borage deters cabbage moths and tomato hornworms, whatever they may be.  

Comments

  1. I'm baffled! As you mentioned, it's astounding how fast the thyme was germinating!
    Borage and dill are self-seeding and will show up the following year again if the winter is not too cold. I love dill: it's delicate… the plant and the taste. :-)
    Salad burnet is also growing in the "wilderness" on meadows here. So I think it'll survive the English winter easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fascinating watching these little seeds come to life. I can't wait until they are big enough to move out into the garden. Our winters are generally very mild so I hope to have generations of herbs in the years to come. Thank you again for such a thoughtful gift.

      Delete
  2. I love growing seeds, waiting patiently for life to poke its way out of the soil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems a bit like a magic trick to get something green and living from something as simple as a seed. Happy gardening!

      Delete
  3. J'aime bien la nouvelle mise en page.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment