Dahlias Grown from Seed

Way back in April I sowed a few dahlia seeds.  To my surprise, they came up like a shot and in nine days I had tiny dahlia plants.  I planted them out into the cutting garden and the slugs feasted on them.  One or two were nearly eaten down to the ground. The hot, dry weather took care of the slug problem but the dahlias didn't like it and they sulked despite all the water I'd carried to them on a regular basis. But last week we finally had some rain and look what happened! 


The dahlias drank it all in and began to put on quite a show. 


They aren't as big as dahlias grown from tubers but they are lovely and doing very well.  With all the buds I should have flowers to cut for weeks to come. 


These dahlias can be treated like annuals or grown on to develop tubers.  I am going to try to keep some of the ones I like best in the hope they will survive the winter.  


Next spring I will sow more of these seeds and maybe try another variety, too.  If you like to grow flowers for cutting or just to brighten a border, I highly recommend you try sowing some dahlia seeds.  They are as easy to grow from seed as most annual flowers.  You really must give them a try! 

Comments

  1. They look so beautiful! It's interesting to see which of them will survive.
    We have a rain problem here, too. Our water barrels are almost empty, it's unbelievably hot and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the news it seems drought and extreme heat are a problem over much of the world. I've never experienced a summer like this in the UK since moving here in 2001. I am hoping the weather will soon change and we can get some much needed rain. Hope you have some soon, too.

      Delete
  2. I also have sown dahlia's in the past with good result, but your dahlia's are much more beautiful than mine. Love first photo with the vivid colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first photo is my favourite of the dahlias so far. I hope I can keep it over the winter.

      Delete

Post a Comment