Homemade Marshmallow Creme

I said it before and I'll say it again, I am a Marshmallow Fluff addict.  Being an imported product, it's very expensive to purchase here in Britain.  So, in the spirit of economy, I have been trying to find a recipe to fulfil my Marshmallow Fluff needs. 


From the look of that marshmallow wave, I may have found the secret recipe!
Actually, it's not secret, I found it on the Internet.  It's very easy to make, but you do need a candy thermometer and a very good electric mixer.  This isn't a recipe you can beat by hand.


Here are the ingredients and the technique required to make your own Marshmallow Creme:

3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup, if you are in the UK, use golden syrup
1/4 cup water
pinch of salt
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine the sugar, syrup, water and salt.  Heat the mixture over a medium heat , stirring until the sugar has dissolved.  Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the temperature reaches 240F/115C. 

While the sugar syrup is boiling, place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.  Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.  

When the syrup had reached the desired temperature, remove it from the heat.  Turn the mixer on low and pour a few drops of the syrup into the beaten egg whites.  Try to pour the syrup down the side of the bowl to avoid splattering the hot mixture.  Continue pouring the syrup into the bowl very slowly, continuously beating the egg white mixture.  When all the syrup has been added,  increase the speed of the mixer up to medium-high and whip the marshmallow until stiff, glossy peaks form.  It may take 8-10 minutes.  Add the vanilla extract, beating to incorporate it into the marshmallow creme. 


That's it!  You are ready to top cupcakes, make a marshmallow ice cream sundae, fill whoopee pies or just eat your marshmallow creme with a spoon!  Float a spoonful on your mug of hot chocolate......


You can even top a tart with marshmallow creme!  I bet it would be good on waffles, too.   If you have any left over, refrigerate it and it will keep for two weeks.  I am sure this jar of marshmallow creme won't last long at my house.  

Comments

  1. Now, just hang on a minute, Mrs Dustbunny: I am supposed to be low carbing today and tomorrow and this is waaaaaay too much temptation for me. Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't you have just a teaspoonful? It's so lovely! It's fat free!

      Delete
  2. I love this stuff for frosting my cakes too - it hides a multitude of sins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am shameless, I like eating a big spoonful with or without cake! : )

      Delete
  3. My virtual hat off to you for attempting this at home and giving us the courage to do so too, so agree with you its so expensive to buy. Must give it ago now - Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do give this recipe a try. I think you will like it. Thanks for visiting the blog. : )

      Delete
  4. Oh so appetizing! the risk is to finish the pot! hihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! : ) Bit by bit, spoonful by spoonful I am slowly nibbling my way to the bottom of the jar.

      Delete
  5. Know thats my type of temptation, a jar + a spoon = one very happy lady!

    Just need to invest in a free standing whisk :)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My beautiful mixer was a Christmas present from my husband. I am so proud of it. He came up with the idea, I would never have invested so much money in a kitchen appliance. Now I can't imagine how I did without it!

      Delete
  6. This recipe has your mom written all over it! She loved marshmallow fluff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure she was the one who got me hooked! ; )

      Delete

Post a Comment