Monday, 11 February 2013

The Pepper Pot Posy

Nature is amazing.  In the coldest, gloomiest time of the year she will surprise you with a tiny touch of Spring.  Early this morning I was filling the bird feeders when out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of bright blue.



One little frost covered Forget-Me-Not was twinkling away in a crack of the garden path.  Last summer a minuscule seed found it's way into a broken bit of concrete and germinated.  I should have pulled it out as a weed but thank goodness, it was ignored.  



The petite Tete a Tete daffodils are beginning to bloom, too.  I couldn't resist picking just one to make a miniature posy.



But what could I use for a vase?  These are such tiny, delicate flowers they would be lost in the smallest bud vase.  What is the smallest container in the house....  the pepper pot!



With the addition of a new garden plant and my recycled...upcycled pepper pot, I have a miniature Spring garden on my kitchen window ledge.



Of course, Forget-Me-Nots shouldn't be in bloom for months.  Nature is amazing.  She has sent this one fragile blue messenger to remind us that Spring is on it's way.

4 comments:

  1. We have also Forget-me-nots in our garden - growing "wild". They sow themselves, so we let some of them bloom and let them grow until they produce seed. So there are each year some growing and blooming - whereever they decide to do it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in the United States I tried unsuccessfully to grow Forget-Me-Nots in the garden. I never got one flower. Here in Devon, they grow like weeds. I think they are the most beautiful blue. : )

      Delete
  2. I am squealing! I adore forget-me-nots and have loads that have self-seeded over the years in my garden. They really do get into the tiniest of cracks and go wild. Alas, none flowering here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are the loveliest little flowers and look so beautiful with the bright yellow of the tiny daffodil. This little fellow is too early for his own good so I plucked him and am enjoying his company in the kitchen.

      Delete