Easy Oat Bread

People have funny notions about home made bread. Those who make sourdough may think using yeast is a cheat.  Those who use fresh yeast may consider using dry rapid-rise yeast a travesty.  Almost all bread bakers will say using a bread machine is unthinkable!



I had a bit of a thing about using the dough hook on my KitchenAid.  Andy gave it to me as a Christmas present and I love it...but it's a serious bit of equipment. I suppose I was a bit intimidated by the dough hook - until today!



Today I used it to make a loaf of Easy Oat Bread..easy because the machine does all the heavy work.  Here are the ingredients you will need:

1 1/4 cups room temperature milk
2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup regular porridge oats

In the bowl of the mixer, stir together the milk, yeast, sugar and 1 cup flour. Place the bowl on the mixer stand and add the rest of the flour, the oil, and the salt.  Turn the mixer on low and allow the dough hook to combine the ingredients.  Finally, add the oats and continue to mix at the lowest speed until the oats are absorbed into the bread dough.  Once all the ingredients are combined, turn the mixer up to a slightly higher speed to 'knead' the dough. Let the machine work for about 5 - 10 minutes.  The dough is ready when it springs back when gently 'prodded'.  

Place the dough into a large buttered bowl. Cover the bowl with cling film and place it in a warm place so the dough will rise.



When the dough has doubled in size,  remove it from the bowl and gently knead it for a moment to 'knock it back'.  Roll the dough into a loaf shape and put in into a buttered 8x5 inch loaf tin.   Leave the dough to double in size again.  If you like, you can brush the top of the loaf with a bit of milk, sprinkle over a few oats, and slash the top with a shape knife.  It's not necessary but it does make the bread look rather nice. 



Bake in a preheated oven (350F/180C) for about 30-35 minutes.  The loaf should sound hollow when you give it a gentle tap.  When baked, remove the bread from the tin and cool on a wire rack.   This bread is good with a rich thick soup as a rustic meal and makes wonderful toast.  

And if you don't have a big mixer with a dough hook, you can always make this recipe the old fashioned way and knead it by hand.  Anyway, we all know that's really the best way to bake bread...no heavy machinery required.  

Would you like a little whole wheat in your loaf?  Try this RECIPE for OAT BREAD instead.  

Comments

  1. I would love to be able to make bread, I have had several bread machines in the past, I have tried making it using my mixer and dough hook, but it never turns out very well, I should really try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love home made bread but I have a very cold kitchen which means it takes a long time for the dough to rise. I find that to be my biggest problem with bread baking. Don't give up on bread making, You'll soon crack it. : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a dry yeast baker without a proper mixer, but I still find myself making bread quite often. I'm glad you gave your dry yeast amount in teaspoon measure, as I do the same. I find all other ways slightly confusing. Anyway, your bread looks lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! To be honest, kneading by hand is far more satisfying than using the mixer. : D I buy yeast in large quantities because we bake all of our bread so teaspoon measurements MUST be used.

      Delete

Post a Comment