Fall Foliage Gardening

I am not going to pretend to be a great gardener.  As a matter of fact, my style is plant it and pray, but years of gardening have taught me a trick or two.


For example, if you want fabulous fall colour go shopping for foliage plants NOW!  If the plants look stunning at the garden centre on a wet afternoon they are going to look even better in your garden on a crisp autumn morning!


There are a few basic bomb proof plants that always deliver luminous leaves.   Acers or Japanese Maples are my favourite but they can be painfully pricey! The Smoke Bush (Cotinus Coggygria) is a good second choice and will be a fraction of the price of an Acer.  I have two in my small garden, a purple variety and a Green Fountain.


When it comes to red you can't go wrong with the Winged Euonymus or Burning Bush.  


I've chosen alatus compactus, sounds like a spell from a Harry Potter movie. Red Cascade has lovely little berries.  They remind me of the wild bittersweet that used to line the country fence rows in Missouri.


The leaves are a knock-out red...not that this little plant has many leaves left.


Time is running out and the leaves are falling fast....


Better get to that garden centre before it's too late!

Comments

  1. Such a fantastic tip! I need to do that as I see holes that need to be filled for next year! Love that Winged Euonymus! Happy gardening friend! And a lovely week to you! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colours you've got there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su. Pity I will have to wait until next year to see them at their best. : D

      Delete
  3. I agree about seeing what is in the garden centres- a good way to have all year round interest in the garden. Love your choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine. When it comes to autumn foliage the brighter the better!

      Delete
  4. Stunning autumn colours! I'm looking at our garden now and deciding it's a bit too green. I definitely need a trip to the garden centre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That green background will really make the bright colours pop. Don't delay, shop today! ; D

      Delete
  5. thanks for the wonderful tip!! love the red cascade.
    happy gardening,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Regina.... I love the red cascade, too.

      Delete
  6. I'm not allowed in a garden centre unless under close supervision and have no credit cards on my person.
    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy do I understand. I am already itching to plant more. : D

      Delete
  7. Lovely colours. I must look out for the Red Cascade in the garden centre. Thanks for the tip too, :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are soon the owner of a lovely red cascade. : )

      Delete

Post a Comment