Powderham Castle and Toby Buckland's Nursery

One of the most amazing things about living in Britain is no matter where you are, there will be an ancient, historic building nearby.  For example, we live very near to Powderham Castle, the seat of the Earl of Devon.  



The construction of the castle began in 1391 making it one of England's oldest family homes, remaining in the Courtenay family to this day.  Now I must confess, I've yet to visit the castle but I have enjoyed many lovely lunches in the Orangery Restaurant and purchased lots of delicious treats from the Food Hall.  



Now there is another great reason to visit Powderham Castle.  Toby Buckland, yes that chap from the telly, has a charming plant centre at the Country Store.



The displays are dazzling!  I especially liked these coleus plants.  I  fill pots with these in place of flowers.  They never fade and will give great colour all season long.



I loved this elegant greenhouse. Everywhere you look, the plants are artfully displayed.



There are also lots of tempting bits and bobs to add a bit of art to the garden.



The plants are in pristine condition and really very reasonably priced.



I wonder if I can fit a few more heucheras into the garden... or some of these.



Even made a new friend, Oscar!  



He was enjoying a day out at Powderham Castle, too!  

CLICK HERE for more information about what's going on at Powderham Castle.

Comments

  1. That castle and the story behind it are fantastic!!! And that nursery is a piece of heaven I tell you! I am a huge fan of coleus as well and enjoy its oustanding foliage all season! Thanks for sharing the beauty friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to lunch there last year I had some home made chicken liver pate and salad and it was really tasty, and I did buy a few goodies from the food hall, I would love to go back again and see the deer x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a great nursery with some great looking plants... I think there is always room in the garden for another heuchera. Oscar looks a sweetie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like my sort of plant centre! I used to live quite near Powderham Castle many moons ago when I was a student at Exeter university.It's a beautiful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you went to Exeter University! You must be very familiar with our locality. : D

      Delete
    2. Yes, though it was a long time ago!! I grew up near Bristol/ Bath and still have family there, so although now I live on the other side of the country in the flat fenlands, the west country is quite familiar :)

      Delete
  5. A wonderful nursery, especially all the different Heucheras and Coleus. Oscar is such a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plant centre is small but you could make a wonderful garden from the plants available there.

      Delete

Post a Comment