Oat Bread

One of my guilty pleasures in life is a Wensleydale Cheese and Carrot Chutney sandwich purchased from a certain High Street shop with the initials of M & S.  I am still searching for a recipe for that wonderful chutney but I already have a lovely recipe for Oat Bread.  I am well on my way to constructing my own version the famous M & S sandwich.


Here's what you will need to make a loaf of Oat Bread:

1 1/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoon dried yeast (one small package)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon butter - softened
1 cup old fashion oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white bread flour

In a large bowl, mix together the yeast, sugar, water and oats.  Leave for about five minutes so the yeast can begin to work and the oats can soften. Add the butter and whole wheat flour, stirring to combine. Pour in one cup of white bread flour and the salt, stir until you have a thick sticky dough.  Add another cup of white bread flour and mix until you have a rough dough.  I like to work the last cup of flour in with my hands.


Dust your work surface with flour, turn the dough out on to the floured surface and knead the dough for 10 - 15 minutes.  It will be soft so you will need to add a little more flour to keep the dough from sticking to the work surface.  Try not to add too much or you will make the bread tough.  Grease the inside of your mixing bowl and place the dough back inside it to rise.  Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in a warm place for about an hour or so.  When the dough has doubled in size punch it down and place the dough on your work surface.   Knead for a couple of minutes then form the dough into one large loaf or two smaller ones. 


Place the dough into a buttered loaf tin and leave in a warm place to rise.  (About an hour should do it.) When the dough has doubled in size, brush the top with a little milk and sprinkle over a few more oats.  


Bake in a pre-heated oven, 375F or 190C, for about 35 - 40 minutes.  The bread should be golden brown and sound hollow when you gently thump it.  Remove the bread from the tins and cool on a wire rack.  

Since I don't have any carrot chutney to make a sandwich, I decided to have my Oat Bread with a big bowl of curried squash soup for supper.  It was lovely, if I do say so myself.  

If you know a great sweet carrot chutney recipe, please share it with me.  I would really appreciate it!

Comments

  1. I bake wholemeal bread, too. And I love the taste of oat, so I like to add it - with other changing ingredients like nuts or sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing smells as good as a loaf of bread baking in the oven! It makes a house smell like home.

      Delete
  2. These loaves look like perfection! I love a good oaty bread...and with some cheese too...delicious! :-) Our Calendar Cakes challenge this month is bread and you'd be more than welcome to enter your oaty loaves...either way they look great!

    http://lauralovescakes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/calendar-cakes-november.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment