Putting the Garden to Bed for the Winter

I know that garden experts advise against too much 'tidying up' in the autumn garden but I am the worst sort of gardener, a compulsive one.  I want things pruned and weeded before winter sets in so I spent most of today 'putting the garden to bed'.  I raked leaves, weeded and collected seeds for next year's growing season. 



These are seed pods from the Nigella flowers.  We used to call them 'Love in the Mist'.  I pinched a few seeds from a Nigella plant growing at Powderham Castle.  My Granny used to say that stolen plants grow best.  She was right, I had lots of lovely blue flowers from those few purloined seeds.  



Now I have enough seeds for my garden and lots to share with friends and family.  While emptying  the seeds from the pods I noticed something.  The large round pods didn't contain the most seeds.  It was the smaller, less perfect pods that produced the most seed.



It seemed they had sacrificed their showy flowers to be more productive.  I am sure there is a moral in there somewhere.  That's the great thing about gardening.  It's not just about growing a plant or digging out a weed.  It goes much deeper than that.  



So I've packaged my seeds and put away all the tools.  There will be lots more to do before winter sets in.  But it's nice to make a start and if you'd like some, I've got lots of Nigella seeds to share. 

Comments

  1. I love Nigella, too. We used to have them in our garden for many years. We didn't know why they just disappeared. But - I also confess it - this year I robbed some seeds of Nigella in a park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny said, the seeds you take will grow the best plants. She also said it was bad luck to say 'thank you' if someone gave you a plant for the garden. I hope your stolen seeds grow lots of flowers! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. to be honest the only "Nigella" i know has a last name "Lawson"... but my husband is way into salvaging seeds lately and watching over his plants, so i do appreciate this post, not only for his appreciation but for my own education! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure Nigella Lawson was named after her father, Nigel. But I know Nigella seeds are eatable so it's sort of nice to think she might have been named after the flower as well! : )

      Delete
  4. those seeds are amazing! I wish i could see them!

    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those seeds make the most beautiful blue flowers. They are exactly the color of a summer sky.

      Love ya,
      Aunt Deb X

      Delete

Post a Comment