Sweet Potato Fries

Looking for something different and healthy for supper?  Why not try some sweet potato fries?



Yams or sweet potatoes are full of nutrients and flavour. The Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. Considering fiber content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value.   I think you can call them a SUPER FOOD. 




I like them because they taste good.  I usually  bake them and top them with a bit of butter.  But they are lovely cut into thick battons and oven fried.  It's easy...all you have to do is:

Peel and slice a big sweet potato into pieces that look like fat French Fries or 'Chips'

Heat the oven to 200 degree /400 degrees F

Pour 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil into an iron skillet or a roasting pan and place it in the oven to get hot.  Don't let it get to the smoking stage....just hot!

Spread the sweet potato fries in an even layer in the hot oil and put into the oven to cook.   After about 10 minutes, turn the sweet potato chips over to brown them on all sides.   Cook for about 10 minutes more then check to see if they have browned slightly and are soft when you pierce them with a knife. 



 Sprinkle over a bit of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper before serving. Slightly sweet, a little salty and full of nutrients, too!  Yum!





Comments

  1. I love sweet potatoes! The rest of this house...not so much. Kevin will eat them but they are not his favorite. The girls don't really care for them but I didn't either as a kid. I cook them how my Mom showed me....sauted (sounds better then fried) in a bit of butter so that they get a nice dark, crispy "crust" on the outside and soft in the middle. I have been known to make a sauce to drizzle over them made with maple syrup, butter and pecans. I think Kev may have come up with that combo. Delish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment