Daddy's Favourite - Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I am going to share with you a very special recipe.  This was my Dad's absolute favourite cookie in the world!  If you asked him what cookie he would like you to bake for him he would say 'Oatmeal Raisin'....Every time!



Yes, that fat baby is me.  I know, the cars are really old ....am I giving my age away?  Probably.  But we are here to make cookies so here are the ingredients you will need to make Daddy's Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter - softened
1/2 cup white sugar
3 cups old fashioned oats

Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour in enough boiling water to cover them.   Leave them to rehydrate  while you make the cookie batter.  

Place the brown and white sugar in a large mixing bowl.  Add the butter and cream them together until they are fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, vanilla, salt, baking soda and baking powder.  

Drain the water off of the raisins.  Stir them into the batter to distribute them evenly.  

Add the flour and mix until well combined.  Stir in the oats.   Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for at least two hours before baking. 





To bake the cookies:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/ 180 degrees C.  Grease baking sheets. 

To form the cookies, take 2 Tablespoons of the dough and roll into a ball.  Place the ball on to the baking sheet and flatten to a 2 inch diameter cookie.   When all the cookies have been formed, bake for 15 - 18 minutes until the cookies are light gold but still soft in the centre. 

If you like smaller cookies, drop heaped teaspoons of dough on to the baking sheets.  I use a small scoop.  Bake the smaller cookies for about 10 minutes. You will need to check them frequently since they will cook faster than the large cookies.  

 Completely cool the cookies before putting them in an airtight container for storage. 



My dad taught me how to eat cookies properly.  You must always take two at a time..one for each hand!  What I wouldn't give to be able to raid the cookie jar with my Daddy!





Comments

  1. Oh how I miss him! He and I had a bond. We had much in common. We had a mutual respect and genuine liking for one another. I must make these cookies for Jess and Sara in his honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy always loved and respected you. He said he couldn't ask for a better daughter-in-law, and we agree! I can't think of anything he'd like more than to know you were teaching the girls to make his favorite treat. I hope you like these cookies as much as he did. X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment