A Day Trip to Sherborne Dorset

Sherborne in Dorset is a jewel of a market town.  It was the capital of Wessex, the Saxon Kingdom of King Alfred the Great.  Today it is a busy community famous for it's Abbey, two castles and excellent schools.  




We arrived on Saturday morning, in time to visit the market stalls.  Markets like this have taken place since medieval times.  That's the charm of Sherborne, you are transported back in time.






Sherborne Abbey contains the graves of two Saxon Kings and is composed of Saxon, Norman, Early English and Perpendicular styles of architecture.





St. Johns' Almshouse still provides accommodation for pensioners as it has done since 1437. 




When you've taken in all the sights and sounds of the Abbey Close, you can head to Cheap Street.  




There are lots of great shops and lovely places to eat....




It's so difficult to choose where to take tea.  And we still haven't visited the castles or Sir Walter Raleigh's home.  Oh dear, I suppose we will have to come back for another visit.  I hope it's soon!

Comments

  1. Looks awesome! Is Cheap Street really that, cheap? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the prettiest towns in Britain. I adore it! Cheap Street may not be that cheap but it's worth the price! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spotted a delightful image of Sherborne town centre on your blog. I run an non-profit travel website triumphing the best spots to visit in England. I’d love to promote Sherborne with your image, so I was wondering whether you’d allow me to use it - I could attribute it as applicable

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spotted a delightful image of Sherborne town centre on your blog. I run an non-profit travel website triumphing the best spots to visit in England. I’d love to promote Sherborne with your image, so I was wondering whether you’d allow me to use it - I could attribute it as applicable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be delighted for you to share my photo(s). Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment