Presbyopic Shopping - Semolina Bread

It's a natural part of ageing, Presbyopia.  You first notice that you are holding your book at arm's length to read. Then you find you can't see fine print without reading glasses or a magnifying glass.  Finally, you get reading glasses but you can never find them!  




So, if I can't find my glasses at home, how was I suppose to find them in the massive void of my handbag in the middle of a busy supermarket?  Well, I couldn't and that is why I bought Semolina instead of Polenta! 


Polenta, corn meal, is what I use to make cornbread. (That's polenta in the bowl).  Semolina is what is used to make pasta!  I don't make pasta!   As you see, it looks very similar except for the different spellings!  Doh!   But I couldn't read the words, I couldn't find my glasses.  So in my presbyopic haze I bought Semolina.   Now what do I do?  Google recipes for Semolina.  


Semolina pudding.... sounds like something you feed infants and invalids, yuck..... semolina pasta... don't have pasta maker....semolina bread.  Semolina bread!   That's it!  And here is the recipe:


2 teaspoons yeast
3 cups white flour
1 cup semolina
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
1 1/3 cups warm water


Place the yeast, sugar and warm water in a large mixing bowl.  Leave for five minutes or until the yeast is foaming.  Add the semolina, oil and salt.  Stir to combine, then add the flour a little at a time.  Stir well after each addition of flour until the dough is too stiff to stir.  Turn out on floured work surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.  (8-10 minutes)


When the dough is well kneaded, place in an oiled bowl and cover with cling film.  Leave in a warm place to rise to at least double in size.  Punch the dough down and knead for a minute or two.  Shape into a loaf and place in a large buttered loaf pan.  Let the loaf rise until it has doubled in size, about 50 minutes.




Bake for about 40 minutes in a preheated oven, 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
The loaf should be golden and sound hollow when tapped.  Turn out of the tin and cool on a wire rack.  


Yes, presbyopia is a natural part of ageing, but sometimes it has it's advantages.  Without it, I wouldn't have tried Semolina Bread.



Comments

  1. Could you use couscous instead of the semolina?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know! It would be an interesting experiment. : )

      Delete

Post a Comment