Vintage Recipe - Coffee'n'Spice Drops

Once again, I've been rained in.  As I look out the window, I can see rain blowing sideways.  Needless to say, I am not going out.  Let's fire up the oven and make another recipe from the vintage 1950's cookbook, Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook.  Today we are going to bake Coffee and Spice Drops.




Ordinarily, I would have saved this recipe for autumnal baking, but our weather feels more like autumn than summer.  For weeks, the temperature has hovered around 17 degrees or 62 degrees Fahrenheit!  No wonder the scent of hot coffee, cinnamon and nutmeg filling the kitchen is making me feel so cozy.


The subtitle of this recipe is 'Intriguing flavors from the Far East', well, it was written in the '50's. I am going to give you the recipe straight out of the book, instructions and all:

Mix together thoroughly....
1 cup soft shortening - I used margarine
2 cups soft brown sugar
2 eggs

Stir in....
1/2 cup cold coffee - instant will do

Sift together and stir in....
3 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon


Chill for at least one hour.  Drop rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet. 


Bake until set...just until, when touched lightly with finger, almost no imprint remains.  

TEMPERATURE: 400F (mod. hot oven) 200C
TIME:  BAKE 8 - 10 MIN.  

That's the end of the recipe as it's written in the book.  I couldn't leave well enough alone.  I had to add a squiggle of coffee icing.  Just mix together 1 cup icing sugar with 1 - 2 Tablespoons coffee.  Spoon into a small plastic freezer bag and squeeze the icing down into one corner of the bag.  Snip off a tiny bit of the corner and use as a piping bag.  Squiggle the icing over the cooled cookies.

Pour yourself a hot cup of coffee and have a freshly baked cookie.  It's still raining and we don't have to go out.  

Comments

  1. I have my mothers old cookbook it looks exactly like this but I cannot find this recipe in it. I remember these cookies we all loved them Thanks I am going to print out your copy here !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are as good as you remembered them. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Deb, I've just found your blog, and I love it! Sorry to see you're no longer posting, but so happy to know it exists. Wishing you well. Margaret, from Montana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment